Poetry and Gardening

Musings from the days of a creative writer/gardener with a true appreciation for nature, meditation, and poetry.

Monday, April 19, 2010

The first one: Blake on Spring



This blog will be dedicated to my garden, as well as to poems about gardening (by both the classic poets, as well as by me).






I decided on the way to work this morning that the North Carolina early morning light really warms my trip. On the way to Roxboro, North Carolina from North Durham, I pass farms, tobacco fields, horse pastures, and rolling hills. Right now, azaleas are in bloom, and one particular house -- a small, vintage ranch home of no particular beauty -- boasted five large azalea bushes, each a different color, and each in full bloom: hot pink, orange, white, purple, and light pink. They looked spectacular from the road as I passed by, shining indiscretely, delicate yet robust, heavy with the early morning dew, and I thought how sad it was that they have little perfume for all their beauty.






I don't have any azaleas in the woody area behind my house. I keep reminding myself to plant some each year (I have lived in this home for four years), but the thought of digging around the numerous tree roots in the back yard deters me every time. If I could, I'd hire someone to plant at least twenty-four various colored azaleas under the pine and elm trees, but for now, I have to enjoy the azaleas I see along my twenty-plus mile ride to work every day.






Instead, I have Ladybanks Roses climbing over an archway at the bottom of the stairs leading to my deck. Their pale yellow mini roses are full and antique looking. They all appear to blossom simultaneously -- overnight, almost -- and hang like drunken Easter hats, spilling over the curves of the arch. They are early spring bloomers and often last a month or so, depending upon the weather. I was first introduced to this climber when we lived in Raleigh, and they grew up and over the gazebo on the second floor of my deck. I don't know how old they were, but I suspect they were almost nine years by the time we moved in. I went by that house the other day, and they were covering the deck like they did when we were there -- a completely sunshiny blanket of privacy that made that area of the deck perfect for a morning coffee and newspaper, even if still in my bathrobe.






For today, this poem is perfect:




"To Spring" by William Blake




O thou with dewy locks, who lookest down


Thro' the clear windows of the morning, turn


Thine angel eyes upon our western isle,


Which in full choir hails thy approach, O Spring!




The hills tell each other, and the listening


Valleys hear; all our longing eyes are turned


Up to they bright pavilions: issue forth,


And let the holy feet visit our clime.




Come o'er the eastern hills, and let our winds


Kiss thy perfumed garments; let us taste


Thy morn and evening breath; scatter thy pearls


Upon our love-sick land that mourns for thee.




O deck her forth with thy fair fingers; our


Thy soft kisses on her bosom; and put


Thy golden crown upon her languished head,


Whose modest tresses were bound up for thee.
















1 comment:

  1. Sharing much of Dawn's morning driving route to Roxboro, I too watch the azaleas bloom along 501 North. Lost in thought, music, or azalea sightings, I seldom see her car pass mine. But quite by accident, I met Dawn recently at the garden store along the way home. Our thoughts converged on gardens that day as they are converging with this blog.

    My first azalea sighting each morning is in my front yard where 25 year old azalea bushes line the front entry stairs while others are scattered through the pines. These are hardy plants that survived drought, hurricanes, and ice storms to bloom in greeting the first spring I visited this house that became my home. Now I look for them to bloom each April and would miss them like a dear friend passing if they did not greet me with their blossoms each coming spring.

    Thanks, Dawn, for sharing your poetry and gardening with us!

    ReplyDelete